Check the policy details carefully before you buy, ensure it meets your needs.
Travel Insurance for residents of US and Canada
Insurance Price Comparison:
We recommend SquareMouth
- The New York Times found it included policies missed by the other comparison sites (this was the only 'test' we could find).
- Squaremouth states that it includes every major travel insurance company
- Better Buisness Bureau accreditation at highest A+ rating. BBB reports zero complaints in the last 3 years. (we last checked 08 Aug 2011)
- Widely recommended by the travel press
- We have chosen to partner with Squaremouth for these reasons.
Vacationing abroad for a period exceeding 6 months:
Neither Squaremouth nor any of the other the North American comparison sites we checked appear to offer travel insurance for a trip abroad exceeding 6 months.
- US residents: STAtravel offered policies from one week to 2 years when we last checked. Note: it is not a travel insurance price comparison site.
- Canadian residents: World Nomads home page states "Buy, extend and claim online even after you've left home", we assume this means you can extend an existing policy beyond 6 months (or buy a new one) during your trip - but you should clarify this with Worldnomads.
WorldNomads Insurance is available to residents of 150 countries and is recommended by Lonely Planet. When we checked, Worldnomads offered "gap-year" policies for people up to the age of 60 (many companies require you to be much younger). We have affiliated with World Nomads.
Last updated: 16 March 2012