Travel Insurance

Check the policy details carefully before you buy, ensure it meets your needs.

Travel Insurance for residents of US and Canada

(UK resident | Resident elsewhere)

Insurance Price Comparison:

We recommend SquareMouth

  • The New York Times found it included policies missed by the other comparison sites (this was the only 'test' we could find).
  • Squaremouth states that it includes every major travel insurance company
  • Better Buisness Bureau accreditation at highest A+ rating. BBB reports zero complaints in the last 3 years. (we last checked 08 Aug 2011)
  • Widely recommended by the travel press
  • We have chosen to partner with Squaremouth for these reasons.

Vacationing abroad for a period exceeding 6 months:

Neither Squaremouth nor any of the other the North American comparison sites we checked appear to offer travel insurance for a trip abroad exceeding 6 months.

  • US residents: STAtravel offered policies from one week to 2 years when we last checked. Note: it is not a travel insurance price comparison site.
  • Canadian residents: World Nomads home page states "Buy, extend and claim online even after you've left home", we assume this means you can extend an existing policy beyond 6 months (or buy a new one) during your trip - but you should clarify this with Worldnomads.


Should also check out insurance offered by World Nomads and STA.

WorldNomads Insurance is available to residents of 150 countries and is recommended by Lonely Planet. When we checked, Worldnomads offered "gap-year" policies for people up to the age of 60 (many companies require you to be much younger). We have affiliated with World Nomads.

Last updated: 16 March 2012